October 7-9, 2016 | University of Chicago Booth School of Business | Chicago, IL
Our annual three-day conference is simply unlike anything else. Unlike traditional conferences, our participants are the focus and their ideas take center stage. For three days, we mix together plenary talks, exciting hack-a-thon workshops, and transformative discovery activities to inspire, connect, and empower a new generation of innovative defense leaders.
Peter Barkley, USN – Winner of the DEF2015 Innovation Competition
- Ryan Evans, War on the Rocks – A Startup Founder 3 Years In
- Kristen Hajduk, CSIS – #NoExceptions
- Kevin Kenny, USAF – The F5 Report
- John Gillis, USMC – Plenary Pitch
- Miriam Krieger, USAF – Plenary Pitch
- Chris O’Keefe, USN – Plenary Pitch
- Graham Plaster – Panel Moderator
- Cory Harrison, Defense Digital Services
- Lauren Schmidt, DIUx
- Josh Marcuse, DoD
- LtGen. Michael Dana, USMC: Innovating within the Marine Corps
- Matthew Von Ertfelda, Vice President & Global Team Lead, Insight, Strategy and Innovation Team, Marriott – Keynote: Leading Intrapreneurship
- Steven Koltai, Brookings, author of “Peace Through Entrepreneurship”: Creating a Startup Culture for Development and Security
Friday Breakout Sessions
- Peter Newell, BMNT Partners (USA, Ret.) – Applying Lean to the DoD
- Josh Pavluk and Bret Perry, Avascent – Leading Organizational Change
- Bryan Shu and Mike Michalak – Raspberry Pi
- Rich Walsh and John Hawley, USN – High Velocity Learning
- Tyson Weinert, Luma Institute (USCG, Ret.) – Design Thinking
Thanks to DEF2015’s Gold Sponsors
The Atlantic Council promotes constructive leadership and engagement in international affairs based on the Atlantic Community’s central role in meeting global challenges. The Council provides an essential forum for navigating the dramatic economic and political changes defining the twenty-first century by informing and galvanizing its uniquely influential network of global leaders. Through the papers we write, the ideas we generate, and the communities we build, the Council shapes policy choices and strategies to create a more secure and prosperous world.
The Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation advances the knowledge and practice of entrepreneurship and innovation through a broad range of activities, including academics, research, conferences, competitions, and global and community outreach. The Polsky Center is the foremost resource for University of Chicago students and alumni as they pursue entrepreneurial endeavors and private equity careers.
The Pearson Institute and the Harris School of Public Policy, fill a critical gap in identifying new strategies rooted in innovative, data-driven research approaches that transform how we understand and reduce global conflicts. Its mission advances three main areas: (1) research to understand, prevent and resolve violent conflicts; (2) engagement by annually convening the international policy and academic community to recognize new data-driven approaches to policies that reduce global conflicts; and (3) education for the next generation of scholars and practitioners through new courses and programs, all designed to help resolve conflicts and inform more effective policies.
Founded one year ago, the Institute has named its first Academic Director, James Robinson, appointed new faculty members, and welcomed its first class of fellows this fall. The Institute continues to grow, develop partnerships, and connect with defense innovators. Person is excited to support the Defense Entrepreneurs Forum, and to share ideas about how we create more effective defense policy and organizations. Pearson is like a startup, refining its position in the policy marketplace, and learning how they can make the greatest impact.